- Exfoliate skin at least 8 hours before your sunless session to smooth skin for even tanning results. Spend a little extra time on knees, elbows, feet, and hands.
- Shave at least 6 hours before your sunless tanning session. We always suggest shaving with soap and water only, (no shaving cream) as shaving creams contain lanolin that acts as a barrier between the tanning solution and the skin.
- Any waxing should be done 1-2 days prior to your sunless tanning.
- If skin is dry, apply a light water-based lotion lightly and evenly to skin at least 2 hours prior to your sunless tan. Do not apply oils at any time prior to or after your sunless tan.
- Remove make-up prior to your sunless tanning application for best results.
- After your sunless tan wear dark loose fitting clothing. Do not wear wool, nylon, or silk during or after your sunless application and for at least 8 hours as DHA may react with these fabrics and cause staining.
SPRAY TAN AFTERCARE
- Wait at least 8-12 hours after application before you shower. This will allow time for the self-tanning reaction to occur on the skin.
Don’t worry if you see color wash off from your first shower, this is normal. What you see washing off is the immediate cosmetic bronzer and what's left behind is a beautiful sunless tan.
- Do not apply moisturizer until after your first shower, as this could affect the immediate reaction of the sunless solution on the skin and cause streaking.
- Do not exercise until after your first shower.
- Moisturize daily, especially after bathing, to maintain your sunless tan. For best results, use a water-based moisturizer. Oil based moisturizers can cause blotchy areas, so we advise against those.
- Do not exfoliate skin for at least 48 hours after your sunless tanning application. When you do exfoliate, do so gently and evenly to preserve an even sunless tan.
- If sun-bathing, remember to wear sunscreen. Sunless products do not contain sunscreen and although you look like you have a tan, you will still need a sunscreen to prevent your skin from burning.
- Spray tans can last 4-10 days if cared for correctly. To maintain your tan, make sure that you moisturize and use the correct products. Using the wrong products can cause your tan to fade quicker than normal.
The following is a list of body care products that could potentially have a fading or blotchy effect on your spray tan.
This is only a guide and not every client will have an issue with these items or products.
- AHA products
- Anti-acne products that exfoliate or dry the skin
- Anti-aging products that exfoliate skin
- Bar soaps
- BHA products
- Retin-A products
- Body Hair Bleach Products
- Toners containing Alcohols or Witch Hazel can lighten tan
- Facial masks & exfoliating scrubs
- Body spray, perfumes, and bug spray
- Hair inhibiting lotions can cause your tan to yellow
- Makeup remover cleaning products or oils
- Long baths, submersion in hot tub/swimming pool
- Using a loofah, mitt, scrub etc. for daily washing
- Depilatory hair removal products